A tunnel arbour covered in grape vines.
Queen Eleanor’s Garden at The Great Hall, Winchester, is a re-creation of an enclosed medieval garden and is named after Queen Eleanor of Provence (c 1223 – 1291) and her daughter-in-law Queen Eleanor of Castile (1241 – 1290), who would have walked there and used it as their private retreat. In medieval times gardens offered pleasure, repose and refreshment to the senses as well as food and medicine. Queen Eleanor’s Garden is an accurate example of such a garden and features turf seats, bay hedges, a fountain, tunnel arbour and many beautiful herbs and flowers of the time.
This post is linking up with The Earth Laughs in Flowers .